A J-1 visa is granted to a student between the ages of 18-33 who is currently pursuing an Associate Degree , Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree while attending a university or college on a full time basis.

This opportunity was initiated by the US Department of State in the year 1961. This allows the summer work and travel (BridgeUSA) student to travel to the US at the beginning of the summer period to experience what the American culture is like on a firsthand basis.

It also gives the said student the privilege of working in seasonal jobs in the US for a maximum of 4 months. A social security number is granted to the summer work and travel participant upon entering the US and submitting an application.

This number is used to pay taxes. These taxes are deducted from student’s salary. However, the student will then be eligible for a tax return during the US tax period.

In order to be given this opportunity, the student must be processed by a registered summer work and travel (BridgeUSA) agency in their home country, such as ‘ITCE’. This student must have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher (it is highly recommended) to be eligible to be processed by the US Embassy.

NB: If you are pursuing a diploma on a full time basis you may be eligible however, conditions may apply